Cos accuser's lawyers: There's more to tell They seek to add statements from 10 more women


By NICOLE WEISENSEE EGAN weisenn@phillynews.com The attorneys for a woman who claims Bill Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her last year have at least 10 other women whose statements they want admitted as testimony, a new court filing says. The report by the plaintiffs' attorneys, which followed a March 23 conference between both sides, did not state what the women have to say. However, the attorneys have previously said that women had contacted them to report that Cosby had done something similar to them as he is alleged to have done to Andrea Constand, the Canadian woman who accused Cosby of drugging and assaulting her last year. One of the other women is California attorney Tamara Green, who first told her story to the Daily News in February. Bebe Kivitiz and Dolores Troiani, the attorneys for Constand, also want the court to issue a limited protective order to keep the media from knowing or publishing the identities of the other women. News organizations traditionally do not reveal the identities of sexual-assault victims. However, when she came forward, Green requested her name be used. Cosby's people subsequently made unflattering information about her available to the media. The request for a limited protective order is obviously an attempt to prevent that from happening again. Constand's identity became public only after her parents gave an interview in January to a Canadian paper and allowed their names and their daughter's name to be used. Many news organizations used that as justification for using Constand's name. The Daily News did not publish Constand's identity until she filed her lawsuit against Cosby. The attorneys could have identified her as Jane Doe, which is common in sexual-assault civil suits, but chose to use her real name. The defendants, the report added, want the entire proceedings to be kept confidential under a protective order, but Constand's attorneys oppose such a request. Patrick O'Connor, a member of Cosby's new legal team, did not return a phone call requesting comment. O'Connor filed a notice of appearance on behalf of Cosby in federal court on Monday. O'Connor is a partner in Cozen O'Connor, one of the top 100 law firms in the country and among the area's top campaign contributors. Constand, a 31-year-old former Temple University employee, went to Canadian police in January with her allegations against Cosby. The alleged incident occurred the previous January, she told cops. In February, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor, Jr. announced he would not be filing criminal charges against Cosby. *

Nicki Egan:
The Daily Beast  Features